Brain Boosting Oatmeal
It should come as no surprise that oatmeal falls into the brain-boosting food category. The kicker is that most, pre-made, processed oatmeal should not fall in that list but does—grocery stores carry pre-made oatmeal packets packed with sugar and the ease of use makes these hard to pass up as a busy adult. Our tip is to look for steel cuts, minimally processed oats! These will take longer to make than the 90-second microwaveable oatmeal of your childhood, but these are tastier and much better for you. Plus, you can sub any berry out for the blueberries you see listed below!
- Steel cut oats
- chia seeds
- maple syrup for sweetener
- sea salt
- Soak 1 cup of steel cut oats in 2 cups of water overnight in your fridge to make them easier to prepare the next day
- Put your pre-soaked oats in a pot with a pinch of sea salt and bring to a boil, add more water as needed
- After boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for up to 15 minutes or when the oats are fluffy (add more water as needed to avoid burning)
- Once done, put into your favorite bowl, add your toppings and mix together
- Enjoy a hearty brain boosting breakfast!