Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Packed full of antioxidants, tomatoes provide a great source of nutrients for your diet. Include this vegetable regularly in your meals by making homemade tomato sauces and ketchups, or by roasting tomatoes with other vegetables. My favorite way is to include them in soups, especially this delicious Tomato Basil Soup. Paired with a grilled cheese, it makes for a great, heart-healthy dinner!
- 7 medium tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- 2 sweet onions
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can white navy beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the quartered tomatoes, diced onions and peeled garlic cloves in olive oil in a medium sized bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In a large pot, add vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, navy beans, thyme, and oregano together. Place on simmer until the tomatoes, onions, and garlic are done roasting.
- Slowly add the roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic to the large pot with a large spoon.
- Using an immersion blender, blend all ingredients together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil leaves and continue blending until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.