Delicious & Nutritious: Recipes to Boost Fiber Intake Using Psyllium Husk
Listen- we get it. Fiber can be hard to get enough of, especially when you’re constantly on the go. That’s why we’ve sourced these delicious (yet nutritious) recipes for you to try! All of them contain psyllium husk, a natural source of soluble fiber that has gained recognition for its potential to supplement and enhance your fiber intake.
Recipe sourced from PlantBaked
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp psyllium husk
- coconut whipped cream (optional)
- cacao nibs (optional)
- Start by adding coconut milk, 2 tbsp cacao powder, 3 tbsp coconut sugar, and 1 tsp of psyllium husk into a saucepan.
- Whisk until combined and there are no lumps left.
- Increase heat to medium, stirring constantly.
- Allow mixture to boil for 1 minute before removing from heat.
- Divide the pudding between 3 cups or small bowls. Let the pudding cool before placing it in a refrigerator. Chill until set for at least 3 hours.
- Garnish chilled pudding with coconut whipped cream and cacao nibs, if you’re feelin’ fun.
Low-Carb Coffee Cake
Recipe sourced from Little Pine Kitchen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup granular sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- Placethe unsalted butter in the freezer for 30 minutes before starting. Then, grate the butter using a box grater and place back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375 F and line an 8" square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, granular sugar, and salt. Add butter and mix until butter is well coated. Remove one cup of the butter/flour combo and place it in the fridge. Add baking powder , psyllium husk, heavy cream, vanilla, and eggs. Combine using an electric mixer until the batter is completely smooth.
- Add cinnamon and chopped pecans to the flour combo we set aside, and toss until well combined. Pour half the batter into the prepared baking dish, then half the pecan combo, then the rest of the batter, and the rest of the pecans. Press lightly to adhere the crumb topping.
- Bake + enjoy! Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cover the cake in foil (this will prevent the top from burning). Return to the oven and bake for another 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan before removing it. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
Recipe sourced from Yummly
- 16 oz. filtered water (about 2 cups)
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tsp. raw cacao
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter (unsweetened organic)
- 1 tsp. raw honey (local, if possible)
- 2 tsp. hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp. psyllium husk
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 serving of chocolate protein powder, whey or plant-based
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Begin to blend. Once it reaches the desired consistency, you can serve!
- Hint: If you like your smoothies a little thicker, you can add a few extra ice cubes.
Jalapeno Popper Bites
Recipe sourced from Divalicious Recipes
- ½ cup Coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon Psyllium husk powder
- 6 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Boiling Water
- 5 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 2 Jalapeno peppers, deseeded & finely chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- To make the dough, place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend well. Add the oil and egg and stir until combined. Add the boiling water, gradually until you have a dough. Firm up with your hands. Roll out the dough by placing it on a piece of parchment paper, place another piece of parchment paper on top, then roll out. Cut out circles to cover the muffin tin spaces. Place the circles in a greased mini muffin tin and ensure that all the sides are covered with the dough.
- To make the jalapeno popper filling, mix the softened cream cheese, jalapenos, Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese together in a small bowl. Spoon the cheese mixture into the dough cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is firm and golden.
- Let cool for 5 or so minutes, then enjoy!